The balance of microorganisms living in the digestive tract is essential for healthy gut.
Gut microbiome is instrumental in the advancement and growth of many diseases like inflammatory and metabolic disorders, cancer, and as well as depression.
Leaky gut is a disease that causes openings in the lining of the intestinal walls which cause bacteria and food particles to enter into the bloodstream.
Intestinal epithelial cells act as a barrier and stops waste particles and food to enter into the bloodstream.
However in leaky gut due to microorganism imbalance and inflammation the gap between these cells expands allowing harmful foreign substances to enter into the bloodstream.
Foods to heal leaky gut
- Vegetables: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, arugula, carrots, kale, eggplant, beetroot, Swiss chard, spinach, ginger, mushrooms and zucchini.
- Roots and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, squash and turnips.
- Fermented vegetables: Kimchi, sauerkraut, tempeh and miso.
- Fruit: Coconut, grapes, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, oranges, mandarin, lemon, limes, passionfruit and papaya.
- Sprouted seeds: Chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and more.
- Gluten-free grains: Buckwheat, amaranth, rice (brown and white), sorghum, and gluten- free oats.
- Healthy fats: Avocado, avocado oil, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Fish: Salmon, tuna, herring and other omega-3-rich fish.
- Meats and eggs: Lean cuts of chicken, beef, lamb, and eggs.
- Herbs and spices: All herbs and spices.
- Cultured dairy products: Kefir, yogurt, Greek yogurt and traditional buttermilk.
- Beverages: Bone broth, coconut milk, nut milk, and kombucha.
This is an excerpt from the online nutrition course on Gut Health at Institute Nutrition. This course provides insight into different aspects that can help restore gut health.
Key foods and supplements are discussed in detail and case studies help understand the application of knowledge in real-life scenarios.
For more details on the course visit: https://institutenutrition.com/courses/gut-health-secret-prescription-foods-and-supplements/
Since you are here and look curious about learning more about the subject, we would like to add more to your learning experience.
Use coupon code “blog15” to get 15% off while enrolling in the course.
Our students, both patients and nutrition professionals, have found this course to be of immense value to plan a nutrition strategy for themselves/ their patients.
We hope this will add value to you as well.